The purpose of the Hillblom Foundation Network Grant is to facilitate interaction between a network of researchers. It is anticipated that these investigators will be independently funded and have demonstrated productivity in their own field. While it is anticipated that the principal investigator of the network will have a strong background in one of the two areas of stated interest of the Hillblom Foundation, the network might be strengthened by inclusion of investigators with expertise that can enhance the overall focus of the group on the disease process of interest.
Grant Making Procedures
The Network Grant shall be made directly to and administered by the office of contracts and grants at the Qualified Institution, which shall be responsible for the expenditure of grant funds, appointment of researchers and the overall network grant project. Annual renewal of a Network Grant shall be subject to the Foundation’s approval.
Expectations of the Research Network
The proposed network must be led by an established researcher in the field of interest. The proposed Network Grant must be focused on the benefits that the network will bring to the overall research effort. The grant should identify research objectives and/or milestones as well as a time line for achievement of same. If appropriate, indicate whether recognition of the Network Grant will include naming in honor of the Donor, Larry L. Hillblom or the Larry L. Hillblom Foundation. The principal investigator will be required to submit an annual report to the host institution and the Foundation (submitted electronically via the LLHF Grant Management System). Additionally, the principal investigator will be required to attend the Annual Hillblom Scientific Meeting to give a presentation on the findings of their research to date. The annual renewal of any Network Grant for the four year time period will be contingent upon a satisfactory annual report and presentation at this forum. Renewal / non-renewal decisions by the Board of Directors of the Hillblom Foundation are final and not subject to appeal or review.
The Network Grant can seek support in the following categories:
- Personnel costs, which are restricted to those named and justified in the budget.
- Cross-training of network personnel.
- Operation of the research project, including project administration.
- Purchase of supplies and equipment for the conduct of the proposed research, both items must be itemized and justified in the budget.
- Travel expenses, which shall include mandatory attendance at the Annual Hillblom Foundation Scientific Meeting.
No scientific or monetary overlap is allowed. The network investigators cannot be currently funded to perform the stated research.
All publications and presentations related to the Hillblom Grant should cite support by the Hillblom Foundation.
Network Grant Details
- Qualified Institutions: The PI’s lab must be affiliated with an institution within the state of California
- Funding Areas: Diabetes or Aging
- Maximum Funding: $300,000 per year
- Duration of the Award: Four (4) years, subject to annual Foundation approval; thereafter, renewable only by new competitive application
- Maximum Allowable Indirect Costs: 10%, included in the total grant
- LOI Submission Start Date: December 28, 2021
- LOI Due Date: January 28, 2022
- Full Application Invitation: June 2022
- Full Application Deadline: August 26, 2022
- Funding Decisions Announced: November 2022
- Anticipated Start Date: January 2023
Initial Letter of Intent (LOI)
The first step to a Network Grant is submitting an LOI. If your LOI is approved, the Foundation will invite you to submit a full application later in the year.
Please use the following information as a guide to help you prepare your LOI. NOTE: This is just an overview of what to expect in our online application form.Please sign in or create an account to view complete application instructions.
Requirements of the Principal Investigator
- LLHF Cover Page
- Summary of Proposal in Lay Terms
- Compatibility to LLHF Goals
- Preliminary Data/Research Plan
- Program Description/Area of Research Interest
- References Cited
- Qualifications of Network Participants
- Qualifications of the Organization/Facilities
- Published Papers
- Budget Form (note: we only require an estimated budget for the LOI)
- Institutional Signature (note: only the PI’s signature is required for the LOI)